Friday, August 01, 2008

My first Dumpling


My first Dumpling
Originally uploaded by cutejoos

Having tasted my han yu lao shi's (chinese language teacher) home made dumplings during one of my classes at her home, I liked the taste so much that she so generously shared me some dumplings to take home plus her authentic beijing recipe which I the chaotic one lost even before I got to try it. Luckily she was patient enough to dictate it again to me over the phone one Sunday before I headed off to the wet market to buy the ingredients I needed to make her dumplings. My only apprehension from the very start was the dumpling skin which I had never ever made before. In my mind I knew what i had to do, knew the whole concept & theory behind it, but there are times that theory & the actual part don't gel at all. So I was keeping my fingers crossed that I would recall all those lessons at CCAC and be able to apply everything Mr. Lu had taught us about making the perfect dumpling. Another thing that I was afraid of was the recipe itself since teacher Mary did not have actual quantities & measurements. It was all "guesstimation" which for me, having a bakers background, we are so used to exact measurements that getting recipes like these can be unnerving. But being the determined cook that I was, I pushed all negativity aside & went for it. Part of the reason I was making these dumplings was because my aunt B had given me like half a kilo of garlic chives, which is the key ingredient in making dumplings. After mixing up all the ingredients for the filling, I cooked up a teaspoonful of it just to see if I got the taste & seasonings right. I then proceeded to combine the flour & water to make my dough. This step was easy eough, then came the hard part which was the stuffing & wrapping of the dumpling. After a few failed attempts, I finally got the hang ot it after maybe the 15th dumpling, by the 30th dumpling I was finally enlightened on the "secret" of wrapping the dumpling. It was getting easy peasy after this. As you can see I didn't do so bad for a first timer although some of he dumplings did have some holes - tiny one lah!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi! would it be possible to ask for the dumplings recipe? i love dumplings! and i'm a big fan of Mr. Lu but i don't have enough money to attend classes. it's expensive for a working student like me. thanks and i hope to hear from you soon..=)

my email is singkit_ann@yahoo.com. thanks again!

-ann yu