Friday, August 01, 2008

Molded pork w/ kiam chai- FINALLY!



Molded pork w/ kiam chai
Originally uploaded by cutejoos

I finally found the perfect piece of meat for my first attempt at making this classic chinese dish that is Molded Pork. It's been more than 6 months since I saw this recipe in one of mother earths Pei Mei cookbooks, and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to cook this dish one day. But my earliest fascination came about maybe 10 years ago while watching Taiwanese director Ang Lees movie Eat, Drink, Man, Woman wherein the opening sequence showed the lead character who played a famous master chef whip up numerous chinese dishes for his daughters, and one of the dishes he cooked was this. I will never forget the moment he plunged the deep fried meat in a bowl filled with ice cubes and I do believe you could even hear the sizzle. Up to this day I still don't know the idea behind this plunging in cold water, I know it's to wrinkle up the skin & make it soft, but honestly though would it matter if the pork skin was wrinkled or not? But hey, I did follow the recipe to a "T", and I must say was mighty proud of the end result. It not only looked delicious, it really really tasted damn good!!!!!

1 comment:

Gina Choong said...

don't forget to feed me with these when you get back to singapore! :p